Club Championship 2019-20 Round 3
The draw for round 3 of the Club Championship 2019-20 is now available. Games to be played on or before Friday 13th December. Please contact your opponent as soon as possible to arrange your match.
Calendar for the next few weeks
- 29th Nov – Analysis Night. Let’s all learn from the previous round of the Club Championship and Munster League games. Bring your games, pre-analysed or not. Show off your victory or learn from your mistakes.
- 6th Dec – December Ladder. An opportunity to play a long-time-control rated game. Full details here.
- 13th Dec – Club Championship Round 3 final night.
- 20th Dec – Christmas Blitz and Prize-giving. Many prizes, mince-pies, choccy biscuits and messy blitz chess. We’ll also give out any outstanding trophies for last season’s Club Championship and Cork Congress 2019.
- Christmas break.
- 10 – 12 Jan – Mulcahy Memorial weekend tournament. Full details and entry on the ICU website.
Cork Congress 4-6 October 2019
Cork Congress 2019 was won jointly by Tarun Kanyamarala and Aidan Rawlinson, with Tarun taking the trophy after a blitz tie-break. Congratulations to Tarun, Aidan, and all competitors after an enjoyable and good spirited weekend. Special thanks to our arbiter Pat Twomey.
Team Rapidplay 27th September
Turn up, form a team, the sum total of the team member’s scores at the end of the evening determines the winning team. Teams formed according to rating bands to keep it balanced.
Play starts 8:15. 5 rounds at time control 8 minutes with 15 seconds increment, and finish up 11pm at the very latest.
Calendar for the next few weeks
- 27th Sept – September Team Rapidplay. Turn up, form a team, the sum total of the team member’s scores determines the winning team. Teams formed according to rating bands to keep it balanced. Play starts 8:15pm.
- 4th-6th Oct – Cork Congress. https://www.icu.ie/events/1155.
- 11th Oct – Analysis Night. Show off your Congress victories, or your biggest learning points.
- 18th Oct – Club Championship Round 1 final night. Here’s the Draw.
New Season 2019-2020 started Friday 6th September, season-start blitz
We had a super turn-out for both Junior and Senior clubs for our first meeting of the season, many new and familiar faces in both groups.
The Start of Season blitz had two joint winners Sean Murphy (following up on his joint victory of last season’s Club Championship) and Vladimir Andric, congratulations both!
A reminder that we’re taking membership forms and accepting entries for the Club Championship (membership of the ICU also required to play in the Club Championship). The draw for the Club Championship will take place on 20th September 2019.
Congratulations to 2018-2019 joint Club Champions Hugh Doyle and Sean Murphy.
Here’s the timetable for the first few weeks:
- 6th September Blitz
- 13th September Ladder
- 20th September Analysis (last date for entry to club championship, draw up weekend of 21st/22nd)
Club Championship Round 7 and final meeting of the season
Our final meeting of the season will take place on 14th June, with the junior club meeting at 7pm and the final round of the Club Championship taking place afterwards.
The draw for round 7 of the Club Championship 2018-19 is now available. Games to be played on or before Friday 14th June. Please contact your opponent as soon as possible to arrange your match.
The club will reconvene on the first Friday in September, 6th September.
AGM 24th May 2019
The AGM for Cork Chess Club was held at 8:00pm on Friday 24th May 2019.
The new committee is:
- Chairperson – Mark Watkins
- Secretary – Joseph Keenan
- Treasurer – Sumanth Shindgi (not appointed on the evening, but volunteered later)
- Membership Secretary – Sean Murphy
- Public Relations Officer – Gerard Condon
- Team Captain – Simon Lawrence
Many thanks to the outgoing committee for all their effort keeping the club running over the past year.
A motion was passed to alter the constitution to add a Junior officer to the club committee, no junior officer has been appointed yet. The constitution page on the website will be updated soon.
Results of EGM 10th May 2019
The following motion was passed at the EGM held Friday 10th May:
That we change the constitution of Cork Chess Club by renumbering clauses 5.3 – 5.10 of the constitution to 5.4 – 5.11 and replace the existing clause 5.2 with two clauses 5.2 and 5.3:
5.2 The AGM shall be held at 8.00pm on either the first or second Friday of September in each year in the Club’s normal meeting place, or such other suitable place as the Committee may determine.
5.2 The AGM shall be held at 8:00pm in the month of May on the Club’s normal meeting night and in the Club’s normal meeting place – or such other suitable time, in May, and/or place as the Committee may determine.
5.3 The date and location for the AGM shall be advertised by the committee at least two weeks in advance.
Junior club meeting each week at 7pm
We have a nice group of junior players meeting each week at 7pm, New players of any ability are always welcome, please get in touch at email@example.com if you’re interested.
Club Rapidplay Championship
Congratulations to Jaroslav Shanel on winning the rapidplay we held on 15th March with the perfect score 5/5. Full details here: http://corkchess.com/rapidplays/CorkRapidplayChampionship2019/standing.html
Ladder and Junior night – 8th Feb
We’ll be running the next round of the club ladder, and also a junior session, on Friday 8th Feb.
Fischer Random – Chess 960 Rapidplay
Congratulations to Mark Watkins for winning our first Fischer Random event, a rapidplay in the club on 1st Feb. Here are the full results of the Fischer Random Evening Rapidplay.
RIP Gerry McCarthy
Our sympathies go out to his family and friends.
IM Alex Lopez won the Mulcahy Cup again
The Mulcahy Cup ran from 11th – 13th January and was won by Cork native IM Alex Lopez for the 13th time.
The Christmas Blitz held on 21 December was won in blistering fashion by Wojciech Rzemek on a perfect 9 wins from 9 games. Here are the details of the Christmas Blitz 2018.
Join Cork Chess Club
New members, and old friends, are always welcome at Cork Chess Club. We always welcome new players of all ages and abilities.
Please come along any Friday night and see what the club is about.
If you do consider joining here’s the Cork Chess Club Membership Form and Privacy Statement.
Congratulations to Barry Foran on winning last week’s rapidplay event with a stunning 100% 4/4 score. More info on Twitter.
Cork Congress 2018 – well done Jara
Congratulations to Jaroslav Shanel for winning Cork Congress 2018! Links to the full results are available on the Cork Congress 2018 webpage.
Visit of Hammersmith Chess Club
A group of 11 players from Hammersmith Chess Club visited Cork the weekend of Fri 8th 2018 to Sunday 10th June. Here’s a write-up of the weekend.
Mulcahy Cup 2018 Report
We have a report from the Mulcahy Cup 2018.
Mulcahy Cup 2018 won by IM Alex Lopez
The 50th Mulcahy Cup which ran 12th to 14th Jan in the Metropole, was won by IM Alexs Lopez in convincing fashion, here are the full results for the Mulcahy Cup 2018. Congratulations to everyone for a wonderful weekend’s chess, and particular thanks to Pat Twomey for running this event here in Cork.
Club Ladder update
This is to let you all know that we have started the Cork Ladder competition on the 6th of October.
Every club member is very welcome to participate and doesn’t have to sign up beforehand – just turn up on the evening before 20:15 and indicate to the controller that you wish to play.
It is good to see that we already have a number of new players attending; hopefully there will be many more.
Unfortunately it is still not possible to have the Ladder games ICU-rated; the ICU will not do it because it’s not a round-robin or a Swiss setup.
I have made a few adjustments to the rules, which I think will be an improvement:
- You will win 5 points for a win, +1 point for a draw and -3 for a loss. If you’re the odd one out (last player to indicate they wish to play) +2 points, no show: -5 points.
- The standard playing tempo remains 1h 30 min each for the whole game +15s/move from move 1; but if both players agree they can also play 1 hour for the whole game. And if a player below the age of 16 is involved, they have the right to play 1 hour each – without increments.
- If games start later than the intended time of 20:30, we may have no other option than all games to be played with a tempo of 1 hour each, without increments.
We will try to get in around 20 rounds this season, with the final round in May.
I hope many people will be playing in the Ladder – it’s a great practice for tournaments and league games.
With best regards,